Former defense minister suggests he had a better agreement in the works last year; Barak doubles down on Netanyahu criticism, says urgent change in government needed
By Raoul Wootliff and Times of Israel staff | The Times of Israel
Former defense minister Moshe Ya’alon joined ex-prime minister Ehud Barak Thursday in slamming Benjamin Netanyahu for the $38 billion military aid deal signed Wednesday with the United States, saying Israel should have gotten a bigger payday.
The former defense minister, who was effectively ousted from his position earlier this year amid a political crisis that saw Avigdor Liberman take his place, suggested that in October 2015, when he was still in the post, he negotiated a better deal with his then-counterpart Ashton Carter that included a list of capabilities that would have been available to Israel.
“Put in another way, I don’t think $38 billion will provide all the [required] capabilities or meet all our [defense] needs,” Ya’alon said in a speech at the Washington Institute for Near East Policy, which he joined in July as a visiting fellow.
Israel “will now have to go through a prioritization process in Israel to see what we can get and what we prefer to leave [aside],” he added.